About Me

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Medieval Fantasy?! (And a taste of what's to come) pt.1

After 5 months of not posting, I guess I can post something here. Once again I've stopped blogging, but definitely have not stopped painting. In fact I've been painting more than ever. I've acquired many new techniques, and have jumped into a completely new time period, one that never existed: minor fantasy.

Minor? you might be wondering. Yes, Minor because I am not going magical fantasy, but more of a fictional history, using actual historical figures from pre-gunpowder ages and making a universe where they all exist as different cultures. Think A Song of Ice and Fire (or Game of Thrones to some.) I will be using them for some kind of wargame.

But don't worry, I haven't abandoned WW2 and Modern models. In fact I just go through phases on what to paint, WW2 one day, medieval the next.

I have actually moved since my last post to an apartment, and just figured out how I'm gonna store my figures with smaller space, along with setting up my table. Instead of my good old plant growing lite, I'm stuck with a magnifying poseable lamp, still bright but in the way of my painting.

And today I took a few photos. Now these are just sample photos, testing things out. This is definetely not all I've painted, only a couple figures from each "army" (even though I only covered half of my current armies).

So without further chit-chat, here are some previews.

Italeri DAK

Caesar Italian (Greenish/Yellow uniform)

Caesar Bersaglieri (Mustard Uniform)


 Matchbox/Revell Anzac


Caesar Knight (Royalist)

 Caesar Knight (Rebel)

Caesar Knight (Rebel)

 Zvezda Royalist Cavalry (actually Polish Winged Hussars)



Italeri Mountain Tribesman Rider? haven't come up with name for this faction. (actually Mongol Riders set)

Italeri "Samurai Elite Rider" (actually Chinese Cavalry)

Definetely my favorite figure to look at, but painting this was stressful since I had to get it right for it's my favorite pose and armour.

I spent a lot of time with these ones, very good set.

Zvezda Samurai "Royal Archers"

 Zvezda Samurai "Royal Cavalry"


Hat Arab Spearman (El Cid Almoravid Infantry, box comes with almost 100 detailed figures!)

 Zvezda Northern Standard Bearer (Vikings)

 Zvezda "Northern Heavy Riders", I'm giving them an asian colour spice, similar to the real life kievan knights, since their land will be near the Samurai one. (Zvezda Mounted Russian Knights)

 And something I've had for quite a long time but only started serious work on recently, my Northern Longship (Revell 1:45(?) Viking Boat). The crewmen are all Ehmhar (very cool figures, useful for any ship, and eve have a bendable plastic that lets you customize the pose to hold the rams!)

Obviously still a WIP, progress only coming in big pushes.



Ready for some raiding!


And finaly, my Imperial Commander figure, for my sizeable Imperial force (formed of Romans, Greeks and Macedonians) The figure is Alexander the great from the Zvezda Macedonian set.

 

Oh yes, definetely more to come, especialy since I've only previewed half of what I've done since my last postings!

I have yet to figure out a way to base them (especially those old ones without bases).


Share your feedback (especialy on the new photography format), good or bad, both are welcome! Because you are never perfect, there is always some way you can improve yourself.

Thanks for reading,

FF

6 comments:

  1. G'day FF, great to see a post from you.
    Some great looking figures there, really liking the detail on those pre-WW2 figures, all that excellent armour, gold and general shiny stuff. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarge, can never have enough shiny ancients!
      FF

      Delete
  2. Lovely work FF!

    I love that boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, I'm still learning when it comes to those monstrosities.
      FF

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fascinating project, I look forward to following your progress. You've certainly made a good start so far. The Chinese rider and Northern standard in particular are amazingly detailed pieces of work for this scale. Consider me envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, will post the rest of the Chinese today.
      FF

      Delete